Saturday, August 27, 2011

vivere e mangiare come un romano

I saw the UC Center Rome University for the first time a few days ago. It is one large building and all of the people working the program are very nice and always willing to help. Walking, its about 9 minutes to the Pantheon, 12 minutes from the Trevi Fountain, and if you keep walking a little bit farther you run right into the Colosseum! Everything is absolutely gorgeous. I had my first authentic Italian meal two days ago which consisted of bruschetta and fresh bread along with fresca salad and fresh pasta with olive oil and spice garlic sauce. It was the best thing I've ever tasted, so far ;)  I've had gelato at least once a day and have loved every flavor. So far, the Trevi fountain is my favorite place. Everything is so detailed in every part of the fountain, it's breathtaking. I've almost gotten use to the public transportation, the buses are crowded and everyone around you absolutely knows you are an American just by looking. I've tried to only speak Italian to the local people so I can get used to the language. I also noticed how people treat you a little nicer if you look like you're making an effort to learn their language and culture. I've also noticed how nothing is ever rushed in Italy. If something is wrong with your toilet, you wait until tomorrow to tell someone and maybe they'll get back to you in a few days. If you're bus is supposed to arrive around 9 am it will probably be there around 9:20 or so. If you ask for another bottle of wine for your group of friends you better have a little left over in your first bottle to wait another 30 minutes. If you just ordered at a restaurant you should intend on staying there for a long time because the check won't come for another hour. I love the culture, the stress level is low and everyone enjoys themselves no matter what they are going. Today I will be going on a tour with some of my fellow school mates. My plan is to stay as little as possible inside my apartment and discover as much I can about Roma!

No comments:

Post a Comment