Saturday, August 27, 2011

The tour today went from our UC Center through the Piazza Navona and two churches. It was all places I had already walked through, but had not known the entire significance the professor portrayed. He told stories about the Piazza like how the Popes would fill the entire Piazza full of water and bring in ships that battled eachother for entertainment of the Romans. He also told us about the Greeks that would come into Rome and participate in athletic games in the Piazza. I went to a Jesuit church which was amazing with paintings on the ceiling and wall that were beautiful. I also saw an education center where hundreds of great philosophers came to Rome to study, one of which was where Galileo who would come to use his telescope on the roof. A few of my friends and I went to a restaurant called Meme's and Cocos that had fabulous food, somewhere I definitely plan on revisiting. My favorite memory of the day was when the professor giving the tour brought up how Sigmund Freud described Rome as the "physical human conscience." It has multiple different parts of it such as Ancient Rome, Medieval Rome, Renaissance Rome and so on but they all come together as the Rome we know today. Similar to how we have memories from our childhood, we don't have layers of our life, all of memories are mixed in together as our personal conscience. Rome has different aspects of its entire history made into the city as a whole, and I can't wait to explore more of it.

2 comments:

  1. Julia,
    It is so great to hear from you. I am so glad you have this wonderful opportunity! I would like to share your experiences with my seventh graders...do you mind? I will keep you in my daily prayers!

    Mrs. May

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! You're more than welcome to, I think that would be awesome! I'm also trying to figure out a way to post my photos on the website so everyone can see :)

    ReplyDelete